About Me

My photo
I am retired and like to travel by motor home across the United States and Canada. In the winter I hope to spend more time with my WIN (Wandering Individual Network) friends in the California and Arizona desert. I know my trip reports are having too many details, but I am writing them for myself, if anybody else enjoys them, that is fine too.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Oceanside - California 2013-2014

12-28-13
In the morning I went to the Shanty Shakers monthly breakfast meeting at Denney’s in El Cajon. Chappy was there, his son had brought him since Chappy, because of his health, had his driver’s license suspended.
In the afternoon I did some minor repairs inside the motorhome. Also my new computer did not let me go on the Internet. It worked yesterday. I played with it for a while without success. My old laptop computer is in repair in Eureka. They try to find a cable connecting the computer with the monitor. The cable wore out from opening and closing the computer.
At 8:00 PM I called Hewlett-Packard and a technician from India worked with me for five hours to solve the problem.
Nothing worked, so we had to bring the computer back to its original setting. All the programs I had installed are gone. I always back up files and have very little loss that way. I went to bed at 1:00 AM.
I am not blaming HP yet. Tomorrow I will try some things on my own. I could be in a bad spot for WIFI here at the Elks Lodge.

12-29-13
My computer worked this morning, but not for long. I turned it off and restarted it and went outside, away from motorhomes which are in the way of the WIFI antenna on the roof of the lodge. It started again. I think I do not get a good signal and will move to a different spot in three days when a large group leaves for home. Yesterday I went inside the lodge and had problems there too. That is why I called Hewlett- Packard.
I walked to the Oceanside Pier in the afternoon. I believe it is three miles one way. 


There were people walking along the beach and surfers were in the water. 


Two little boys showed me the fish their father had caught.


A large flock of small birds were diving into the water and catching fish. Nobody could tell me what kind of birds they were. I had never seen something like this before. 


The campground host at the lodge decorated his trailer and site with inflated up figures. He had also a small carousel which was turning and playing music.  



12-30-13
Today, the Convair tooling group had their annual Christmas Luncheon at the Home Town Buffet in Santee. The attendance shrinks every year. Since the company does not exist anymore, and former employees are leaving this earth or moving away, the numbers are dwindling. It is always a pleasure to see the people and reminisce about old times.


On the way to the restaurant and on the way back, I checked out five Target stores for Dr. Seuss pajamas. Claudia had noticed that I did not wear pajamas at the pajama dance at the dance rally. She bought me a set for Christmas. Unfortunately it is extra large. I try to exchange it for a smaller size. All stores are out of them though. They only have Budweiser Beer pajamas. I think Dr. Seuss pajamas are cool. While at one of the stores I bought a Blu-Ray Disc Player. The DVD Player in the motorhome is acting up. When I came back to the motorhome I installed the new disk player and noticed that I need a HMDI cable. The coaxial cable does not give sound. This was a very good day. The weather is perfect. 

12-31-13
This is the last day of the year 2013.
It was a good year for me. The stock market was kind to me. I traveled most of the year with the WINs. The group was like family. We saw some beautiful sights, did interesting things, enjoyed dances and get togethers. I would have liked to have somebody with me to share those adventures, but I have to heal first.
This morning I went to Kaiser to get my flu shot. I did two lots of laundry and finished the installation of the Blu-Ray disc player. The HMDI cable makes a big difference.
Pam and Hans had invited me to attend the Camino Hills annual New Year Party. I went and had a lot of fun. I saw some of my old neighbors. I enjoyed living in this beautiful park.
Hans and I always got along fine.

The women like line dancing.


There are a lot of new people now in Camino Hills. Some of the old timers were there though.


   
1-2-14
Yesterday I helped at the Camino Hills Clubhouse with the clean up and visited friends.
This morning I walked in the neighborhood and when the camping club left, I moved the motorhome to a new site. Now I have a better Internet connection.
I the afternoon I washed the Saturn and one side of the motorhome. This was a summer day. I feel for my friends in the Chicago area and in Minnesota. They have terrible weather.  
  
1-4-14
This was supposed to be an exciting day. Unfortunately it ended up to be just a regular day. I had cleaned the inside of the car for the occasion. I went to plan B and did a lot of walking. Besides my morning walk I had another long one at Tamarack Beach in Carlsbad. The weather was perfect again today. 

 

1-7-14
The last few days I did my morning walk, walked to the Senior Center for lunch, took naps and worked on the motorhome.
I finished the washing of the outside of the motorhome. The motor needed a new air filter. Replacing one windshield wiper blade assembly turned into a chore. I broke a brittle, little plastic jet which is held by the same bolt which holds the wiper blade assembly in place. I finally found a kit with replacement parts. I bought engine oil for an oil change. I will do that in Borrego Springs. I also added air to all the tires. Today I found a base for my new GPS. The windshield it too far away to see the information on the screen. Instead of mounting the device on the windshield I have it now on the dash board.
I am waiting for a letter. As soon as the letter arrives I will head for the desert.  


No comments: