About Me

My photo
I am retired and like to travel by motor home across the United States and Canada. In the winter I hope to spend more time with my WIN (Wandering Individual Network) friends in the California and Arizona desert. I know my trip reports are having too many details, but I am writing them for myself, if anybody else enjoys them, that is fine too.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Painted Rock Petroglyph Site (2014)

2-4-14
I left Mesa at 9:00 AM and arrived at Painted Rock Campground, near Gila Bend, at 11:30 AM. As soon as I came near the pile of black boulders I remembered that I have been here before, by car, to look at the petroglyphs.


Bryan had come here yesterday and he had bought a seven pound pork roast. He decided to share it with the group and have a potluck dinner. We are ten people now. I made mashed potatoes, and heated up a big can of Bush’s beans. Somebody brought roasted potatoes. There was also coleslaw, and other side dishes and dessert. 


I started the camp fire but had to leave and fix a water leak under the kitchen sink. All the pots under the sink were wet. It turned out to be a loose connection. It happens from going over dirt roads. The motorhome shakes and things loosen up.

2-5-14
This morning we drove to Gila Bend. It is a twenty five mile drive. We went to the Visitor Center and the town museum.
Walter and Les are inspecting a court reporter typewriter.


The museum has a lot of items used in this area, from household use to farm and ranch equipment.


They also have a fine collection of Papago baskets. 


Our next stop was the Little Italy restaurant where most of us ordered pizza. 


We had another magnificent desert sunset.



2-6-14
This was a day of rest. New people arrived and some of them went to Gila Bent and did the same things we did yesterday. Les took a few WINs up the mountain behind our camp.
I walked over to the petroglyph site.


The sign explains the purpose of those strange figures. At least archeologists try to give an explanation. Nobody is sure what the pictures mean. 


They are fascinating though.


From the top of the mount we can see our motorhomes and trailers. 


There is also a sign honoring Jean Babtiste “Pomp” Charbonneau, the son of Sacagawea, Lewis and Clark’s Indian guide and translator. Pomp became a guide for the Mormon Battalion and they came through this area.


I have to leave tomorrow for the San Diego area for medical attention. My HMO wanted me to go to a medical facility in this region, but I rather go back to California. 
I really wanted to go to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument and Tucson. I have a feeling that I will not see the group for a long time.

No comments: