Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Memorial Day 2015

This was a good traveling day. It was cloudy all day and foggy near the coast.
We spent some time in Orick, California. Doris’s mother had made a quilt; it was not finished though. A lady in Orick finished it.
Doris had called the lady and they agreed on a time to pick up the quilt. When we arrived in Orick the lady was not at her store. I talked to a young man, who lives next to the store, and he told us where the lady lives. Doris paid her a visit and she told Doris that she would be there in fifteen minutes. It was fifteen minutes Orick time , which are about thirty minutes. We finally got the quilt and Doris was happy.
If we would have known that we had to wait an hour we could have had a leisurely breakfast at the Palm Café.
We continued our journey and arrived at Bullards Beach State Park in Bandon, Oregon at about 3:30 PM.
Our camp site is a long one with bushes and even a blooming rhododendron bush. We have water and electricity but no sewer hook-up.

Doris’s daughter made the reservation.  Usually I do not care but this time I wanted to clean the black water tank. We have to do it at our next outing.
The motorhome looks good again. I used a lot of elbow grease to polish the outside with gel-gloss.
Between polishing the motorhome and working on the sprinkler system I was busy again last week. Moving the motorhome from the concrete pad was easy. I just drove it out. I had about a foot clearance from the fence across the alley. Backing in is not that easy. A longer motorhome will not be able to make the turn.
Doris was unhappy when I took down her potting shed. She uses the plot now for a vegetable garden and she planted lettuce, peas and some other vegetables. She is happy again.

Doris told me that it rains in Bandon every Memorial Day. I told her that in Germany they have a saying: “When angel travel it does not rain”. Since I am an angel we should have a dry outing.
This morning we had a fine mist, which does not count.
This morning we went to Bandon Old Town and visited some chocolate shops. Cranberry Sweets had a lot of free samples. Doris bought some of their sweets while I sampled.
We also went to the Farmers Market, which was actually a craft fair, a place where they sell stuff people make.

On the way home we took a short drive along the coast and saw the light house from the distance.

In the afternoon Gayle, Doris’s daughter, arrived. She lives near Portland. She set up her big tent at the camp site across from us. Besides the big tent she had a full size barbeque set in her small car. Her car was loaded.

Late afternoon Lynda, Doris’s other daughter, and her son arrived. They also live near Portland. She parked her tent trailer at the site next to us. Her daughter and boy friend came in his car. Lynda’s husband will come tomorrow.
For dinner we had Tri Tip Steak, baked potatoes and salad. Gayle’ large barbeque was handy to cook the meat. The potatoes were done on my small barbeque.
We sat at the camp fire until 11:00 PM. Doris wanted to stay longer. She is related to the Energizer Bunny.
We had a big breakfast, pancakes, eggs and bacon.

Gayle cooked lunch. She cut up small potatoes, wrapped them in aluminum foil and cooked them on the barbeque. She cut up the leftover tri tip steak and put it in foil and heated it up.
In a big bowl she put cut up lettuce, avocado, and other greenery. When the potatoes were done she mixed everything in the big bowl and added salad dressing. It turned out to be a super salad.

Rick, Lynda’s husband arrived early afternoon with the big family dog and we went to Old Town in Bandon. After sampling the chocolates at Cranberry Sweets we drove out of town and checked out the RV Park where we will have a large family reunion in August. All of Doris’s children will be there and family friends, who were former neighbors.
For dinner we cooked hamburgers. We had a camp fire again.

Today we had patches of blue sky.

We went back to Old Town and after the women were done shopping we went to Face Rock Beach.

We went through a cave.

At the rocks are a lot of gooseneck barnacles. They cover the rocks from the sand line to about three feet high.

We saw a lot of sea stars attached to the rocks.

The sun was shining but it was very windy and cool.

Doris and her two daughters are all bundled up.

Cassy the dog enjoyed a swim.

Doris wore her water shoes and the sand got in and she had to clean the shoes and put them back on with the help of Lynda.

Alex did something what is not allowed in the park. He climbed the rocks.

There were some bicycle riders on the beach. The tires on the bicycles have a very large diameter.

The beach is very beautiful.

In the evening we had dinner at the Lord Bennetts  Restaurant. Rick treated us; he knows the owner.

The restaurant is at the second story of the building and one has a fantastic view of the beach and rock formations.

We are alone here now. Everybody had to go home today and either go to school tomorrow or go to work.
It was a sunny and warm day. We drove along the coastal roads and stopped at certain places. We talked to volunteer rangers and had some interesting conversations.

On the way home we stopped one more time at the chocolate store and I did some sampling while Doris did the buying.
This was a fantastic outing. It did not rain which made a difference. Doris enjoyed her children and grandchildren. This was the important part of this trip.

The drive home was uneventful. Getting on the concrete slab in the backyard is another story. I ripped off a side light on the motorhome and damaged the rain gutter on the garage. Both can be fixed.

No comments: