Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Eureka - May 2017

May 13, 2017.
I am back at the Moose Lodge in rainy Eureka. I was lucky, they had one dry campsite left. Half the campground cannot be used because of mud. So far they had already 160 % of normal rainfall, and there is more to come.


I went to Claudia’s house and picked up my mail. Jacob grew about half a foot while I was gone. He is now taller than his father.
I will take it easy for a while.
May 15, 2017.
Nicolette and her best friend belong to a Belly Dance Group. Yesterday I had the pleasure to see them perform at the Morris Graves Museum of Art.


The two are the youngest members and performed their own choreographed dance.


Tonight I went dancing at the lodge. I had to answer several times to the question where I was the last six months.
The dance club has a new member; her name is Erika. She came to the United States in 1956,when she was nineteen years old, she is two years older than I. She moved to Eureka from Monterey to be near her son and family. This sounds familiar.
She will be dancing at the Swiss Club this coming Sunday.
Rhododendrons are in bloom now. Those colorful bushes are all over town. It brightens up a little bit the rainy days.



May 18, 2017
I am trying to keep busy. Sometimes it does not work.
Tuesday it rained all day. I did not feel like to drive in the rain to the mall and walk there. Watching TV and working on the computer gets boring after a while, but I survived.
Yesterday and today we had sunshine and the weather was beautiful. After lunch at the Senior Center I drove to McKinleyville for a visit of the Singing Tree Gardens. It is a nursery, but looks more like a botanical garden. All the plants are marked and customers can see what the bushes or trees look like in a natural setting.


My next stop was the little view point on highway 101. Seals were sunning themselves, in the sand, on the island between the river and the ocean.


In the evening I went to the Redwood Curtain Theater and saw the play: “Third”.





1 comment:

Barbara and Ron said...

I remember Eureka as having giant rhododendrons. Are you staying for the kinetic sculpture race? I want to get back there again.