About Me

My photo
I am retired and like to travel by motor home across the United States and Canada. In the winter I hope to spend more time with my WIN (Wandering Individual Network) friends in the California and Arizona desert. I know my trip reports are having too many details, but I am writing them for myself, if anybody else enjoys them, that is fine too.

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Eureka, January 2018

January 7, 2018.

Monday was the King Tides Event at the Arcata Marsh Interpretive Center in Arcata.
I went for the 10:30 AM walk on the shoreline. Other people were wearing rubber boots and volunteered to measure the especially high tide. They were putting little yellow flags next to the water and at high tide red flags. They also took photographs.The tide was 8.85 feet.
High tide was at 11:18 AM.


Tuesday, I worked on the motorhome. I am getting ready for going South. Since I am parked under redwood trees the roof was loaded with leaves and little branches.
It was the first Tuesday of the month and we had dance music, before lunch, at the Senior Center. Joann and I took advantage of that.
Saturday afternoon I went to the library where the Humboldt County Historical Society presented: ”The Mattole Valley, A History In Pictures”.
Mattole Valley is about 45 miles south of Eureka. The first drilling for oil in California was done near Petrolia. The oil boom was short lived, but the town survived. Cattle ranching is the major industry there now.
In the evening was Arts Alive in Old Town. I visited some of the art studios and listened to some of the bands.
 

January 11, 2018.
It rained all day Monday. I worked inside the motorhome. The kitchen cabinets needed some oil.
Tuesday, I walked at the mall and in the evening, I went to the library and saw: “The Gay Divorcee”, a dance film with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
During the day, when the rain stopped for a few minutes, I did some outside work. I disconnected the auxiliary propane tank and did some cleaning.
I tried to lower the TV antenna but it will not move. Needles from the redwood trees must be located on the sprocket. Scott picked up my steel ladder and the blue boy on Monday to store it at the house. I have to use my telescoping ladder as soon as the rain stops.
Wednesday, in the morning, the members of my Advance Directives Group had a meeting at Pat and Bill’s house.
The seven of us decided to keep in touch and have a meeting every two months. Today we talked about preparing a list of all the people we would like to be notified in case something happens to us.
In the afternoon I set up the telescoping ladder and turned the TV antenna and lowered it. I did not fix the problem. Several of my friends fell of ladders lately and I do not want to have the same problem.
Today, Thursday, it rained almost all day. I had lunch at the Senior Center and told Cathy, the lady who is in charge of the dining room, that I would be gone for a few months. When a person does not show up for a few days the Senior Center calls to see what happened.
I hope it does not rain tomorrow morning. I have to empty the holding tanks and hook up the car to the motorhome. This is no fun in the rain.

No comments: