About Me

My photo
I am retired and like to travel by motor home across the United States and Canada. In the winter I hope to spend more time with my WIN (Wandering Individual Network) friends in the California and Arizona desert. I know my trip reports are having too many details, but I am writing them for myself, if anybody else enjoys them, that is fine too.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Eureka - November 2018


November 4, 2018.
Friday, I walked with the Ramblers the Bull Creek Trail in the Rockefeller Grove at the Humboldt State Park.


Saturday, Marry Ann and I went Down Town for Arts Alive. A lot of people were in the streets, the galleries, museums and shops. There was lot of free food. I could not eat anything because Marry Ann and I had eaten dinner at a restaurant near the waterfront. The sunset was fantastic but does not show very well on the picture.


Sunday, we just took it easy.


November 11, 2018.

This week was still without rain. We had a lot of sunshine. It was cold at night. Some areas in the county had frost warnings.
Monday, I walked with the Ramblers the Rim Trail in the Patrick’s Point State Park. This time I walked up the Memorial Rock.


There was still fog over the ocean.


In the evening Mary Ann and I danced at the Moose Lodge.
Wednesday, I walked with Jeanette’s group. We walked the Hikshari Trail. It was extreme high tide.


Friday evening, Mary Ann and I danced at the Elks Lodge.
Saturday, we attended the Intertribal Gathering and Elders Dinner at the Redwood Acres Fairgrounds. The local Indian Tribes put up a fantastic turkey and salmon dinner. In the last few years it was only a turkey dinner, but this year they were able to harvest salmon.
The meal is free for people fifty five years and older and for Veterans.


Besides the food there is also entertainment. We watched the performance of the Aztec dancers.


After the gathering we went to Pierson's and bought some two by fours. I am going to build a shelf unit, under the stair way, in Mary Ann's garage.
While unloading the car, I tripped on a two inch step, and fell into the garage. I fell on the two by fours and hurt my right leg. Now I have to take it easy for a while.
Sunday, I went to the Adorni Center where a Veterans Day Observance and a program about Humboldt County involvement in World War 1 was held.
The Fire Department was flying a giant flag from their ladder unit.


The Eureka High School Symphony Band was providing the music.


The Humboldt Harmonaires were singing the National Anthem and God bless America.


After the ceremony cookies and lemonade were served.
I spend now most of my evenings at Mary Ann's house.


November 18, 2018.
I did not walk much this week. My leg was hurting after I fell in Mary Ann’s garage.
Wednesday I went to Arcata for a meeting with my Advanced Directives Group. We met a Barbara’s house. She lives in the forest outside of the city. Her house is a dome construction with fiberglass, plywood and two by fours.


She has a beautiful garden.


The green house is kept warm by using the sun heating up many water bottles.


The house is heated with a wood burning stove.


Thursday I took a short walk on the waterfront. Birds were enjoying the low tide.


Friday I walked the Manila Dunes with the Ramblers. I always wanted to do this hike to see Dead Man’s Drop. At this place the Kinetic Sculptures enter the water in Manila.


We waked most of the time through the forest.


Some people were very slow going up the dune.


We took several short breaks.


I had some pains but it was a wonderful hike.
In the evening we danced at the Elks Lodge. Mary Ann had volunteered again to be cashier for the “Cook Your Own Steak” dinner.
Midnight Special was the band.


The lodge is already decorated for Christmas.


Saturday, we went to Apple Bees for lunch and then went grocery shopping. Marry Ann’s daughter and family were coming Sunday for a visit. They wanted to get away from the fires near Chico. 
At 3:00 PM we went to the Elks Lodge for a Thanksgiving dinner. Mary Ann’s sister and husband, and Claudia were there too. Scott was one of the people serving the food. He ate later.



November 25, 2018.
Monday morning, I walked with the Ramblers the Bay Trail. In the evening I went to Mary Ann for dinner with the whole family.
After dinner I danced at the Moose Lodge.
Wednesday it started to rain. I walked in the Bay Shore Mall. From there I went to the Senior Center for lunch.
The afternoon I spent with Mary Ann. We went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner.
Thursday, Mary Ann and I went to Claudia and family for a Thanksgiving dinner. Claudia’s mother in law could not come because of health issues. Pete came for dinner.
Claudia had also invited Amy and her children.

Friday it started to rain again and it was a perfect time to start making the shelf unit, under the stairs, in the garage.
I also worked on the shelf for some time on Saturday and Sunday. It is done now and Mary Ann has her Christmas present a bit early. I hate buying presents and this takes care of Mary Ann.



November 30, 2018.
This was a wet week. I rained several times.
Mary Ann and I went dancing on Monday and Friday. I walked Monday morning with the Ramblers. The rest of the week I walked on my own.


No comments: