Thursday, June 17, 2010

Vera and George, June 2010

We went to the airport and picked up Vera and George, Doreen’s late husband’s brother and his wife.
They will be staying with us for a week

Vera and George wanted to see a friend of theirs. Since we did not have a telephone number we took a ride to their house. Of course nobody was home.

We went to the Oceanside Pier. Unfortunately we had June Gloom near the ocean. The sun can not break through the marine layer and we have a foggy kind of condition.

Today we visited Doreen’s niece Shirleyanne and her family. They also live in Carlsbad.

I took Vera and George to the Cabrillo National Monument today.

From there we went to Shelter Island and then to Old Town State Park in San Diego, where we had lunch. The state park represents the time when California still belonged to Mexico.

Today we saw Vera’s and George’s friend and her family. We met at Joe’s Crab Shack. The restaurant is located near Marina Park, next to the Convention Center.
We had a wonderful meal there.

When we came out of the restaurant a big semi truck hit a pickup truck, near our car. The pickup truck was pushed into another vehicle and this vehicle was pushed into its neighbor. Four vehicles were side by side and could not be moved.

We were lucky and were free to go. I had to bring Lyn, the friend of Vera and George, to work though, since their car was stuck. Melvin and the two children had to wait until the tow truck came and moved the stuck together vehicles.

We had a day of rest. In the evening we went to friends for dinner.

This was a beautiful day. There was no marine layer and the sun was shining at the coast.
Vera, George and I went to Tamerack Beach. We had a nice little walk and watched the surfers and swimmers.

In the evening Doreen's children came to the house for a picnic. Shirleyanne, Doreen's niece, and her two boys came too.
We had bratwurst and hamburgers and Doreen's famous potato salad.

This was another beautiful day. The sky along the coast was clear again.
After breakfast at Denny's we went to the harbor in Oceanside.
We listened to live music from one of the large yachts, while we were eating ice cream.

Doreen and I are on our own again. We took Vera and George to the airport this morning.
We hope they had a good time at our house and a good flight.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Richard, This is one of my first experiences with using a blog. This is very well done. It looks like mom and dad are having a wonderful time. thank you VERY much. Chris