About Me

My photo
I am retired and like to travel by motor home across the United States and Canada. In the winter I hope to spend more time with my WIN (Wandering Individual Network) friends in the California and Arizona desert. I know my trip reports are having too many details, but I am writing them for myself, if anybody else enjoys them, that is fine too.

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Independence Day 2015

7-4-15
The cook of the little BBQ Restaurant was cooking the meat while I was walking this morning. I could smell it from a distance. It makes one hungry.


Yesterday evening we went to the Redwood Curtain Theater to see “One man, two Guvnors“. It was a very funny performance, with typical British humor.


At the boardwalk the ferries wheel and other devices for entertainment where set up for today’s celebration.


It was still a bit dark when I did my walk.
There was not much traffic at Second and F Street.


In the afternoon we walked Second Street. The street was closed off for motorized traffic. Vendors sold all kind of merchandise.


One guy, in costume, let people pose with him for donations.


The Timber Heritage Organization had a little train going from F Street to the Aquatic Center. Most of the tracks are still there from the time Eureka and the towns and cities not far from here had regular train service. Some people are dreaming to have the train running again.


The ferries wheel was making its turns with screaming passengers.


At 10:00 PM we went to the marina and boarded the Golden Rule. We went in the harbor and watched the fireworks.  It was actually a good show and we had fantastic seats.


Chuck told us that during the night somebody had raised flags of all the US military services up the mast of the Golden Rule. There was no damage done though.
The mizzen mast is still in repair. The person who rigged it made a mistake and the mast fell over board and broke.


No comments: