About Me

My photo
I am retired and like to travel by motor home across the United States and Canada. In the winter I hope to spend more time with my WIN (Wandering Individual Network) friends in the California and Arizona desert. I know my trip reports are having too many details, but I am writing them for myself, if anybody else enjoys them, that is fine too.

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Eureka - September 2017

September 3, 2017.
This was a strange week. I spent most of the days on the couch. I missed two fantastic hikes and dancing at the Swiss Club and the Moose Lodge.
Today my left leg feels better and hope I can go dancing tomorrow.
Yesterday the temperature went up to 81 degrees F. I believe this is a record for September. I liked it but the locals complained.
Claudia and her best friend went with the children, for the long weekend, to Medford in Oregon. They had made reservations and did not want to cancel them. There, the temperature was above 100 degrees F.
 
September 10, 2017.

I was able to dance Monday night. My leg did not hurt anymore. I skipped the hike though. I really would have liked to go to Patrick’s Point State Park.
The park has fantastic trails through the Redwood Forest and along the Pacific Ocean.
Tuesday, it rained. I hope it helped the fire men fight the fires in this region. It rained again Thursday.
Friday, I walked again with the Ramblers. We hiked McKay Community Forest here in Eureka. It is a second growth forest.


Saturday, I went with Nicolette and Jacob to the Oriental Buffet in Arcata for a Chinese lunch. After the lunch I went to Old Town Eureka for Cruz’n Eureka. Second Street was blocked off and people displayed their old cars.


This 1934 Mercedes 500 K is similar to the white one I saw in Fortuna last month.


Sunday, I went dancing at the Swiss Club. They celebrated Oktoberfest with bratwurst, parsley potatoes and sauerkraut. Lindy Mantova played a lot of waltzes, tangos and polkas.
 

September 17, 2017.
Monday, I went with the Ramblers on a wonderful hike in the Chaney – Drury Grove on the Avenue of the Giants.


Our next stop was the French Grove where we walked to the Girdled Tree. We had blue skies and the temperature was in the seventies.


In the evening I went dancing at the Moose Lodge.
Friday, I hiked with the Ramblers the Toypo-Hope Trail at the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park.
It was not an easy hike. We had to climb over fallen redwood trees.


The trail goes through a burned out tree.


We ate our lunch on the trail.


Saturday morning, I went to Fort Humboldt where they had open house. The fort is now a museum.


Displays show how the native Americans were treated by the settlers.


The fort is located on a hill overlooking Humboldt Bay. The Bay Shore Mall is below the hill.


There are also displays of equipment the logging industry used and still uses for logging the giant redwoods.
A little locomotive and trailer gave children and some adults a ride.


In the afternoon, I drove to Arcata where they had the North Country Fair. Nicolette was dancing, at 3:00 PM, with her Belly Dancing Group.


In the evening I danced at the Moose Lodge.
Sunday morning, I went to the Italian Festival. The Humboldt Accordionaires provided the music.






No comments: