Sunday, August 6, 2017

Eureka - August 2017

August 6, 2017.
This was a quiet week. The weather is still very good.
On my Monday walk I saw those kayakers in the Bay.


Tuesday. I went with Nicolette and Jacob to the swimming hole in Freshwater. Some of their friends were there and they had a lot of fun.


Thursday, I went to the Summer Concert at the water front. Kayakers and boats were enjoying the music too. One kayaker had a BBQ attached to his kayak. The group probably had hamburgers or hot dogs.


Saturday morning, I went to Halvorsen Park where they had music. They also had a church group singing. I did not stay very long.


In the evening was Arts Alive in Old Town. I found one gallery I had not been in before.


On the Plaza were booths and displays. The Kinetic Sculpture organization had a display of a flying saucer.


This afternoon, I went to the Swiss Club for their celebration of Swiss Independence. I danced most dances, but not the chicken dance.


I called two of my Army buddies today. Rainer Mai came out of the hospital today. He needed another stent.
Noel Lacy had a stroke and he does not see much with one of his eyes. I am very lucky so far.

August 13, 2017.
On my Monday morning walk I saw those three beautiful houses. They are Bed and Breakfasts.


Tuesday, I walked in Sequoia Park and spotted those turtles on a floating log.


Thursday, I danced again at the Summer Concert at the waterfront.
Friday, I walked with a group in the MA-LE’L DUNES. Ma-le’l is the place name for one of several villages that existed on the north spit of Humboldt Bay. It comes from the Wiyot word Moulu’l, meaning “his house”.

   

The area abundant resources have sustained the Wiyot people since time immemorial.
Today was a very low tide and the sloughs were muddy and the salt marshes did not have much water. We started walking at 9:00 AM and it was still a little bit foggy.
One kind of buckwheat was in bloom.


Part of the dunes were covered with different flowers.


Other parts were just sand.


A dairy farm with black cows is located across the slough.


This was a wonderful walk. We picked a few huckleberries when we walked through the forest. I am going to join the group.

Saturday, we had a light rain when I drove to Pierson Park in McKinleyville.
The Humbugs Volkswagen Club had their annual show there. All of the cars and Buses had to be over twenty five years old. They were in top shape.

This camper was just like new.


This hippie bus was the exception.


In the afternoon, I went to a picnic in Fortuna. The people, who I walked with yesterday, had a get together.
We had some good conversations. Since there was no sun, some people sat inside.


Today, the sun has come back. In the morning, I drove to Rio Dell for Wildwood Days. Rio Dell is a small lumber mill town. On the main street old, beautiful cars were on display. I liked this small car with a five horse power Briggs and Stratton engine. The boy’s grandfather built the vehicle.


The band played wonderful music.


There were a few booths, but the big event was eating a BBQ Beef meal.


My next stop was the Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge. I saw some white egrets and some hawks.
In the fall 75,000 Canadian geese use the refuge for a stopover.







No comments: