About Me

My photo
I am retired and like to travel by motor home across the United States and Canada. In the winter I hope to spend more time with my WIN (Wandering Individual Network) friends in the California and Arizona desert. I know my trip reports are having too many details, but I am writing them for myself, if anybody else enjoys them, that is fine too.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Yuma - Arizona 2018

March 5, 2018.

I said goodbye to Pierre, the guard, and gave him my Mexican coins. We had also made a collection for him and Edgard, the manager.
Then all seven rigs went through the gate. Feliz Viaje, Happy Travel we hoped.


We left at 9:30 AM and before we were out of town got separated. The first three waited 30 minutes until the rest showed up again. Will had heard the tailpipe of his motorhome dragging on the road.
In Soynota the first three made a wrong turn and it was the last four waiting out of town for them to catch up.
Joann had a difficult time turning around her 40 foot motorhome with the car in tow. She slowly backed up a bit and made it. She later checked her tow bar and the front end of her car. It looked like she was lucky and did no damage.
The Mexican Border Patrol came in the motorhome and opened the door to the toilet and looked in the shower.
The U.S. Border Patrol checked only my passbook, but the Agriculture Inspector came in the motorhome and checked out the refrigerator. I had used all the eggs, meat and vegetables and my refrigerator was almost empty.
Going through the border gates was not easy. I was worried about losing a side mirror. There was not much room to spare.
We went through the border at noon and I stopped at the Visitor Center at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument and ate lunch.
I arrived at the VFW in Yuma at 5:00 PM.


March 6, 2018.
This was a grocery shopping day. In the morning I went to Walmart.
Then I went to the library and from there to fry’s. fry’s has better fruits and vegetables. The refrigerator is filled again.
In the afternoon I walked to the VFW lodge to dance. There were only a few people and I did not know anybody, so I went back to the motorhome.
It is warm in Yuma and the forecast indicates it will be in the eighties tomorrow.
Mary and Jack are here. Dick and Sharon left yesterday. Most of the group went to Tucson.


March 7, 2018.
This was a relaxing day. After going to the library, I went one more time to fry’s and bought some more groceries.
Late afternoon I drove to the Escapee RV Park and visited Bob and Donna, friends and former WINs.
It is always a pleasure to see old friends.


March 8, 2018.
In the morning I went to Home Depot and bought some wood screws and metal for fixing things in the motorhome.
I also bought a stain marker to fix some of the wear on the kitchen cabinets.
At 2:00 PM I walked over to the VFW and danced until 5:00 PM.
The Foothills Singles dance on Thursdays and there were a lot of dancers.


Several times the band played music for line dancing. More men do line dancing now too.



March 9, 2018.
This morning I went to the Arizona Market Place. It is a mini Quartzsite, but under a roof.
I bought several items I was looking for and stuff which was a bargain and I can use.
I bought a set of short Queen sheets for $ 20.00. They are not available in regular stores, and I have to buy them from Amazon for a lot more money. They were half price because of the color. Normally I buy beige sheets, those are a funny blue.
When I was done shopping, I went to the food court and had an ice cream and listened to the band.



In the evening I drove to the West Wind RV and Golf Resort to dance.
I had called ahead and the lady at the Activity Center told me she would save me one of the last four tickets.
When I got there, she gave me the ticket and it was for table 41, in the bar. A man with his wife and a lady friend joined me.
The band was very good and the dance floor is large and seemed to be in good shape. Unfortunately, I did not do one dance.
The whole place was filled with couples and I did not know anybody. I asked the lady on my table whether she would like to dance and she told me: “Not now”.
I waited thirty minutes and left.
I am a slow learner. It is not a good idea to go dancing without a partner.


March 10, 2018.
In the morning I went to Sunridge RV Park and visited Vicki and Jim. I used to work with Vicki in San Diego and in Long Beach.
They live now in Idaho and spend some of the winter in Yuma.
On the way home, I stopped at a Family Dollar store and looked for 8 ¾ inch diameter paper plates. They come now at 8 ½ inch diameter. My paper plate dispenser does not work with the smaller plates. They did not have any but I found 22 inch by 44 inch bathroom towels and the face cloths. The colors are strange but they will do.
I have been looking for a long time in stores and on the Internet and could not find any.
I bought three sets. The sets are not complete because they had no hand towels.
At 4:00 PM I drove to the old YMCA, which is now an exercise place and a RV Park, and visited Shirly, Randy, Donna Mary Lou and some other WINs.
They stay there for a few months in the winter.  We had a wonderful conversation.
Yesterday it was hot. This morning we had a very light rain and it cooled off.

March 11, 2018.
Marjorie arrived this morning at the VFW. She lives now in Prescot, Arizona. Her motorhome was in Yuma on a lot where they sell motorhomes. She picked it up this morning since it did not sell. She will be staying here for a few days to have some work done on the motorhome.
It is a big, beautiful, forty foot long coach.
Marjorie wants to down size to a 25 foot motorhome.
We went to the Golden Coral restaurant for breakfast. We had tried other restaurants but the waiting lines were too long.
The restaurant is buffet style.
At 2:00 PM we went dancing at the lodge. Some of our WIN friends were there.
I the evening I went for my last walk around the camping area. Most people have left already and are going slowly north.  



No comments: