About Me

My photo
I am retired and like to travel by motor home across the United States and Canada. In the winter I hope to spend more time with my WIN (Wandering Individual Network) friends in the California and Arizona desert. I know my trip reports are having too many details, but I am writing them for myself, if anybody else enjoys them, that is fine too.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Museum of Craftsmanship

12-21-09
Several days ago I received an E mail showing several pictures of a 1/16 scale model of a Corsair fighter plane. On one side the skin was removed so one could see the frames, longerons and other parts of the fuselage.
Today I went to the museum to see this model airplane with my own eyes.
The museum is located in Vista, California, at the Sherline Products Company. They manufacture miniature machine tools, like lathes, milling machines and grinders.
Another visitor was there, and the two of us got a tour of the place.
Model makers from all over the world send in their work.
On the ground floor of the building, are located the small machines for making watches and other small objects. There is also a small machine shop. All kind of engines are displayed there.











A person from England donated a 1/14 scale working model of a Bridgeport milling machine.
















Upstairs are the aircraft engines and the models of the Corsair and the P-51 Mustang.
They were build by the the same person.
A lot of hours went into those two projects. The two planes have a lot of moving parts.












The The P-51 Mustang has ammunition in the wings.












Here is one of the small lathes.

No comments: