About Me

My photo
I am retired and like to travel by motor home across the United States and Canada. In the winter I hope to spend more time with my WIN (Wandering Individual Network) friends in the California and Arizona desert. I know my trip reports are having too many details, but I am writing them for myself, if anybody else enjoys them, that is fine too.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Avenue of the Giants - 2016

5-31-2016
Today I went to the Avenue of the Giants, the road which goes through the Redwood State Park.
My first stop was at the Drury – Chaney Grove, where I walked part of the trail.


This unusual bench had a plaque with the name James Phillips von Humboldt. I forgot to asked the ranger at the Visitor Center whether this person claims to be a relative of Baron Friedrich Heinrich Alexander von Humboldt.


The greatest accumulation of biomass ever recorded is in the coast redwood forest in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.
There are a lot of giant decaying redwood trees.


This tree did not fall over, it was cut down. The holes in the stump are for the brackets to hold the scaffolding where the lumberman stood while working the hand saw.
I asked the ranger why the tree was cut about ten feet above ground. The tree has a bigger diameter towards the floor and it would take more time cutting it there. Now with modern machinery it would not matter, but the big trees are now protected. Most of them are in State and National Parks.


This tree fell on a stump and broke in half.


The Eel River finally has water again.


Dyerville was swept away by a flood. All what is left is the railroad bridge.


This tree was over thousand years old. The little signs tell what happened in history at certain ages of the tree.


At the Visitor Center is the Charles Kellog Travel Log. It was carved out of a giant log.
Kellog traveled across the United States several times to promote saving the redwood trees.


Inside the Visitor Center is a theater and a small museum displaying tools used by the lumbermen.


It was warm on the Avenue of the Giants. The temperature was 85 degrees F. In Eureka it was 20 degrees cooler.


No comments: